Marcus Theatres Invests $50 Million to Enhance Movie-Going Experience
Published On: Thursday, April 03, 2014
Milwaukee (March 18, 2014)…Marcus Theatres®, a division of The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS), is investing $50 million by the end of its fiscal 2014 year in May to further enhance customer amenities across its 55 locations and 685 screens in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Ohio.
These investments allow Marcus Theatres to continue its nearly 80-year tradition as an industry leader in cinematic exhibition with guest comfort and conveniences at the forefront of the company’s innovative efforts. Looking at the business from all customer angles, Marcus Theatres is bringing a full-sensory experience to its movie-going guests.
“In our auditoriums, we have impacted what our customers see and hear, as well as the personalized comfort they feel during their visits,” said Rolando B. Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer, Marcus Theatres. “We have combined tantalizing food and drink with the broadest range of dining alternatives in the industry. Marcus Theatres is proud to provide our guests a first-rate entertainment experience through its historical focus on quality, value and exceptional customer service.”
Investments by May 2014 include:
- DreamLoungerSM recliner additions. These luxurious, state-of-the-art leather recliners allow guests to go from upright to a full-recline position in seconds. The conversion to DreamLounger seating goes beyond simply changing the seats in an auditorium. These seat changes demand full auditorium remodels to accommodate the necessary 84 inches of legroom. Thanks to Marcus Theatres’ strong financial commitment to its business, guests can now find DreamLoungers in markets throughout Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Wisconsin. In fact, every auditorium in eight theatres will be equipped with this innovative premium seating concept by the end of May 2014 with more planned for fiscal 2015 starting in June.
“Wider aisles, improved sight lines and full reclining options allow you to adjust your position to maximize your viewing pleasure with the touch of a button,” said Rodriguez.
- UltraScreen® DLXTM (DreamLounger eXperience) conversions. Marcus Theatres has always been an innovator and is proud to have introduced one of the first premium, large-format presentations to the industry when it rolled out its proprietary UltraScreen concept in 1999. Marcus Theatres is at it again, as its renovations are now introducing the UltraScreen DLX, bringing the best in premium, large-format presentation to its markets. Marcus Theatres is combining some of the largest screens in the industry with Dolby® Atmos™ immersive sound to elevate the Hollywood experience for guests. Add in DreamLounger seating and guests receive the ultimate in movie entertainment.
“Our UltraScreen DLX auditoriums have brought a new sense of comfort and privacy to movie going. Our customers are quickly becoming Marcus UltraScreen DLX fans,” said Rodriguez.
Marcus Theatres will have 11 UltraScreen DLX screens and 9 traditional UltraScreens in operation by May 2014, with more planned for fiscal 2015.
- Marcus Theatres’ signature cocktail and dining concepts. The company has branded select theatres with dining alternatives that range from in-auditorium dining to take out. Marcus Theatres has drawn on the 50 plus years of food and beverage experience of its parent company, The Marcus Corporation, to provide an unparalleled dining experience in the movie theatre industry.
- Big Screen Bistros? offer full-service, in-theatre dining with a complete menu of drinks and chef-prepared salads, sandwiches, entrées and desserts. This concept ensures guests can complete their evening out with first-rate culinary cuisine – even when tight on time. Currently, Marcus Theatres offers this popular concept in multiple screens in two of its theatres, with three more theatres scheduled by the end of May 2014.
- For guests who would welcome a drink before, during or after their movie, Take Five Lounges give customers an attractive onsite option. These full-service bars offer an inviting atmosphere, a chef-inspired dining menu, along with a complete selection of cocktails, locally-brewed beers and wines. In many markets, these state-of-the-art amenities are becoming adult destinations. Take Five Lounges are ideal venues to watch sporting events, enjoy an after-work outing or toast a special occasion. Marcus Theatres will double its number of Take Five Lounges to 12 by the end of May 2014, with more scheduled in the coming year.
- The Zaffiro’s Express concept offers lobby dining that includes appetizers, sandwiches, salads, desserts and the have-to-try Zaffiro’s THINCREDIBLE® handmade thin-crust pizza. Marcus Theatres is also doubling the number of theatres that offer this delectable amenity. By the end of May 2014, the company will have Zaffiro’s Express in 12 theatres with further expansion plans in the year ahead.
“We are working hard at Marcus Theatres to understand the ever-changing needs of our guests,” said Rodriguez. “In addition to providing them with desired amenities, we want to make sure that we understand their preferred products and programming, as well as the proper price value.”
The results of this customer focus have translated into additional promotions and new products like Midnight Madness with extended late night showings at select theatres.
On the programming front, Marcus Theatres has launched the Theatre Entertainment NetworkTM which features a vast array of series-based programming including classic movies, genre-specific films and live performances. In addition, Indie Focus offers the best art and independent films.
“Marcus Theatres has a rich history in the industry,” said Rodriguez. “Fifteen years ago, we were the first to offer the premium large screen format. Now, we’re taking our ability to innovate and combining it with our expertise in the hospitality business to create the ultimate entertainment experience for our guests. We look forward to further investing in our business and customers as we build the Marcus Theatres brand.”
About Marcus Theatres
circuit in the United States and currently owns or operates 685 screens at 55 locations in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Ohio. For more information, please visit www.marcustheatres.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter (@Marcus_Theatres).
About The Marcus Corporation
Headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Marcus Corporation is a leader in the lodging and entertainment industries, with significant company-owned real estate assets. In addition to its Marcus Theatres division, the company’s lodging division, Marcus® Hotels & Resorts, owns and/or manages 18 hotels, resorts and other properties in 10 states. For more information, visit the company’s website at www.marcuscorp.com.
Certain matters discussed in this press release are “forward-looking statements” intended to qualify for the safe harbors from liability established by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements may generally be identified as such because the context of such statements include words such as we “believe,” “anticipate,” “expect” or words of similar import. Similarly, statements that describe our future plans, objectives or goals are also forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties which may cause results to differ materially from those expected, including, but not limited to, the following: (1) the availability, in terms of both quantity and audience appeal, of motion pictures for our theatre division, as well as other industry dynamics such as the maintenance of a suitable window between the date such motion pictures are released in theatres and the date they are released to other distribution channels; (2) the effects of increasing depreciation expenses, reduced operating profits during major property renovations, and preopening and start-up costs due to the capital intensive nature of our businesses; (3) the effects of adverse economic conditions in our markets, particularly with respect to our hotels and resorts division; (4) the effects of adverse weather conditions, particularly during the winter in the Midwest and in our other markets; (5) the effects on our occupancy and room rates of the relative industry supply of available rooms at comparable lodging facilities in our markets; (6) the effects of competitive conditions in our markets; (7) our ability to identify properties to acquire, develop and/or manage and the continuing availability of funds for such development; and (8) the adverse impact on business and consumer spending on travel, leisure and entertainment resulting from terrorist attacks in the United States or incidents such as the tragedy in a movie theatre in Colorado. Shareholders, potential investors and other readers are urged to consider these factors carefully in evaluating the forward-looking statements and are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements made herein are made only as of the date of this press release and we undertake no obligation to publicly update such forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances.